Frequently Asked Questions


Questions about Campanda


What is Campanda?

Campanda is an online platform that allows people across the world to search for and rent motorhomes, campervans and caravans. On the website you can search for recreational vehicles available to rent in more than 40 countries around the world. We make it easy for owners to rent out their vehicles, whether they are a large company or a private owner. Campanda works with a wide range of businesses and private motorhome owners in order to deliver the best possible choice to our customers.

How can I rent a motorhome on Campanda?

Renting a campervan on Campanda is easy - there are just 3 steps.

  1. Select your starting point and filter the results according to criteria such as travel dates, vehicle type, and sleeping capacity.
  2. When you find a vehicle you like, send the owner an enquiry. If the vehicle is available, you will receive an offer from the owner via email.
  3. Once you receive a suitable offer, confirm your booking by accepting the offer via your user account on the website.

Please note, a booking is only confirmed once you have accepted the offer and completed the booking online. It is not possible to confirm bookings by email or phone.

We recommend that you make more than one enquiry for your desired travel dates and start location. The more enquiries you make, the more likely it is that you will receive a offer that fit your needs.

Certain vehicle owners may allow you to book their vehicle directly, without making an enquiry first. These listings are marked with the tag “instant booking”. See the section “How do instant bookings work?” below for more information.

What is an enquiry?

A rental enquiry is an enquiry you make to an owner about a vehicle you are interested in renting. Enquiries are non-binding and completely free to make.

Create an enquiry in 3 easy steps:

  1. On the vehicle details page fill in the basic details of your trip (travel dates, number of passengers, your destination) then click on “Enquire now”.
  2. If the owner offers additional services, select the ones you want on the next step.
  3. Fill in your contact details and submit your enquiry by clicking on “Enquire now”. If you have additional questions or comments, you can send the owner a message. Your name and contact details will not be shared with the owner. If the vehicle is available, the owner will make you an offer.

How can I cancel a rental enquiry?

You can view and delete your enquiries on your personal page “My Campanda”. To do this, log in to your account and click on “Enquiries and offers” in the menu. An enquiry can be deleted by clicking on the red cross next to it. The vehicle owner will be informed immediately.

How do last minute deals work?

If you see a vehicle with an orange “last minute” label, this means the vehicle is available as a special offer from the owner. These offers have set travel dates and rental terms. Often, a last minute deal will have a discounted rate. Last minute deals can be booked instantly. You can search for last minute deals in the US here.

How do instant bookings work?

If you see a vehicle with the label “instant booking”, this means you can book that vehicle directly without first making an enquiry. The vehicle is guaranteed to be available on your travel dates.

When is the rental agreement binding?

Rental enquiries and rental requests are non-binding. A contractual relationship with the owner is formed only once you have received an offer, then confirmed your booking. In order to do this, you will need to provide payment information and agree to our terms and conditions, as well as the rental conditions of the owner.

How is the price calculated?

Campanda works with a diverse range of different vehicle owners. We strive to be as transparent as possible when displaying the total cost. In certain cases, the price listed in an enquiry may differ from the price listed in an offer. Generally, the total cost of renting a campervan is shown by the price per night. This total may include additional charges, for example, to extend the mileage allowance or obtain extra insurance.

Many owners also charge a one-off service fee. Depending on the owner, this might cover the cost of the handover and return of the vehicle, as well as the provision of a gas bottle or toilet chemicals. Certain owners may offer additional services, such as camping furniture, dishes, extra insurance, or an airport transfer. A detailed list of the different costs can be found in the offer you receive via email. All prices include sales tax.

How do I pay?

An initial payment must be made online at the time of booking, and can be made using a credit card or direct debit. The payment methods available for a booking will depend on the currency and booking deadline. Payment by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) is always possible. Questions about payment should be directed to our Support Team (

The remainder of the balance will usually be paid directly to the vehicle owner. In certain cases, Campanda may collect the remainder (see “Campanda Rental” in the terms and conditions). The full amount must be paid at the time of booking when renting from a private owner. Further information about payment will be sent to you after you confirm a booking.

Who owns the vehicles?

The vehicle owners are based all around the world and include large companies with fleets of thousands of vehicles, as well as private owners with just one vehicle. Campanda itself does not own the vehicles or rent them out ourselves. We facilitate the renting of the vehicles via our online marketplace.

I have a question about a motorhome on Campanda. Who should I ask?

The vehicle details page contains lots of information about each vehicle, including its location and any rental conditions set by the owner. If you have a question that is not answered there, you can contact the owner directly using the message service.

You can also contact the owner after you have made a rental enquiry, and after you have received an offer. To do this, simply log in to your Campanda user account and go to “Enquiries and offers”. Here you can see all open enquiries you have made as well as the offers you received back from owners. To review the details of an enquiry, simply click on the green button, “Messages”. You can then send the owner a message. When the owner replies, we’ll send you an email to let you know.

If you have a question before you book a last minute deal or make an instant booking, you can contact our Support Team ( If you have already booked the vehicle, you can find the contact details of the owner in the booking confirmation sent to you via email. The email will include a booking confirmation PDF for you to download with all the important information about your booking. Please direct any questions about a specific vehicle to the vehicle’s owner, as they know their own vehicle the best.

What if a vehicle is not available?

If an owner responds to your enquiry to let you know their vehicle is unavailable, simply make another enquiry for a similar vehicle. The more enquiries you make, the more likely you will find a vehicle that is available. Alternatively, you can also make a rental request or book a last minute deal.

Is Campanda free to use?

Campanda is free for renters to use. Campanda does not charge a separate fee to renters. The price you pay is the listed rental price (plus any additional services you agree to, and the service charge).

Will I receive a receipt?

Once you have made a booking you will receive a confirmation email from us. The receipt will follow within a few days, depending on the owner. If you have questions about the receipt, you can ask the owner directly. The contact details of the owner can be found in the booking confirmation email.

Which terms and conditions apply?

By using the Campanda website, you agree to the general terms of use of Campanda GmbH. Additionally, once you have booked a vehicle, the rental conditions of the specific owner of the vehicle apply to your booking. The specific terms for each vehicle can be found in the “Conditions” section on the vehicle details page. Depending on the type of owner (i.e. a company with multiple vehicles) the full terms and conditions document can also be downloaded from this section by clicking on “Download this supplier's terms and conditions”.

I forgot my password

You can request a new password here.

On the password reset page, enter the email used to create your Campanda user account, then click on “Request new password”. You will receive an email shortly afterwards with instructions on how to reset your password.

What happens to my personal data?

Your personal data will be stored electronically by Campanda on our servers, and handled with confidentiality. Only when you have completed a booking will your data be sent on to the vehicle owner. Please read our privacy policy for more information on how we store and handle data. You can delete your data or your Campanda account at any time. To do this, please send an email to to request the deletion.


Questions about renting a vehicle


Can I take the vehicle into another country?

Most owners do allow you to take their vehicle into other countries, but you should always check their terms and conditions first. This information may also appear on the vehicle details page under “Travel restrictions” in the “Conditions” section.

What insurance do the vehicles have?

Vehicles are typically covered by a standard rental insurance policy. Further information about the owner’s insurance policy can be found on the vehicle details page under “Conditions”. Prior to booking, please direct insurance-related questions to our Support Team (

What happens if I have an accident or a breakdown?

You should agree in advance with the vehicle owner what to do in the event of an accident or breakdown. Make sure you have an emergency number for a breakdown service, or the contact details of the owner. Further information can be found in the owner’s terms and conditions.

Can I bring my dog?

Pets are allowed in many vehicles listed on Campanda, but not in all vehicles. On the search results page you can apply the “Pets allowed” filter to show only vehicles that allow pets. This filter is located in the “Vehicle extras” menu on the left side of the page.

The vehicle details page for each vehicle also indicates whether pets are allowed or not, and if an extra fee applies. If there is an additional fee, this will be stated in the “Conditions” section or listed as an additional service that you need to select during the booking process. If you are unsure, please check with the vehicle owner when making an enquiry.

Which category of driving licence do I need?

In the UK, the standard category B driving licence allows you to drive any vehicle with a weight of up to 3,500 kg and tow a caravan of up to 750 kg. If the maximum authorized mass (MAM) exceeds 3,500 kg you need a category C1 licence.

The same regulations apply to driving in EU member countries, and your UK licence is valid in all EU or European Economic Area (EEA) countries, and Switzerland. However, please note that driving regulations may differ from country to country. In some cases, such as in the United States of America, driving regulations can differ greatly from state to state. We recommend you consult your local transport agency for advice.

If you plan to drive a vehicle abroad, you should always familiarize yourself with the driving licence regulations in that specific country. Outside the EU/EEA, your UK licence may not be valid, so you may need an International Driving Permit.

How old do I have to be to rent a vehicle?

Almost all vehicle owners set a minimum age for drivers. Some also set a maximum age. The age requirements for each vehicle are stated in the “Conditions” section on the vehicle details page.

Will there be additional charges?

In addition to the total rental price there may be additional fees for travelling beyond a certain mileage, or for additional insurance options. Some vehicle owners charge extra fees if the vehicle is not returned in a good condition (i.e. fuel tank not filled up, waste water tanks not emptied, vehicle dirty).

Some vehicle owners also offer additional services which you can choose to book for an extra fee. If this is the case, you can see these optional extras in the “Additional services” section on the vehicle details page.

I have to cancel my trip. Will I get a refund?

Cancellation policies vary from owner to owner, and will often depend on how far in advance you cancel your booking. The amount you have to pay when cancelling a booking can be found in the owner’s terms and conditions. We recommend having travel insurance for a cancelled trip.

What do I need to bring with me to pick up the vehicle?

The required documents are usually stated in the owner’s terms and conditions. Your driving licence (and the driving licences of all additional drivers), passports and a credit card are normally required for all rentals. Please remember that a security deposit is usually required by vehicle owners. Depending on the specific owner, a deposit may be payable in advance or in cash when you pick up the vehicle. We recommend that you check beforehand with the vehicle owner what you need to bring with you when you pick up the vehicle.

Who pays for parking tickets and speeding tickets?

As the renter and driver of the vehicle, you are responsible for any traffic violations committed during the rental. Parking or speeding tickets must be paid by the person who committed the violation. If you do receive a ticket, you should inform the owner when you hand the vehicle back, if not before.

Do I have to bring the vehicle back with a full tank of petrol?

You should always return the vehicle with a full tank of petrol, or at least at the level it was when you picked the vehicle up. An extra fee may be charged if you return the vehicle with less fuel. Check the owner’s terms and conditions for more information about their policy regarding fuel levels and extra fees.

What do I have to do before I return the vehicle?

You should return the vehicle in the same condition it was in when you picked it up. Make sure you leave the interior clean and empty the toilet and waste water tanks. Check with the owner beforehand if there is a cleaning fee included in the price. If there is, or if you have paid extra for this additional service, you can simply empty the tanks, take out your trash, and give the floor a quick sweep.

Does the 14-day right of cancellation apply to a booking made on Campanda?

The 14-day “cooling off” period does not apply to cancellations of vehicle rentals. This is because a rental contract requires the service be provided at a set point in time, or within a certain time frame (in accordance with §36 part 3 of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013).


Questions about renting abroad


I’d like to rent a vehicle abroad. How does it work?

It’s easy to rent a motorhome abroad on Campanda. Simply enter your starting point in the search field and make an enquiry about the vehicle(s) you are interested in. Once you receive an acceptable offer, accept the offer to complete your booking. Depending on the country you wish to rent a vehicle in, you may need an international driving licence. See the section below: “I’d like to rent a vehicle abroad. What category driving licence do I need?” for more information.

Can I get picked up from the airport?

Some vehicle owners do offer a pick-up service from a nearby airport, or from a nearby meeting point. More information can be found in their offer, or in the owner’s terms and conditions. Airport transfers may also be offered as an additional service when booking. You can also ask an owner directly whether this service is offered, or contact our service team for help (

If I am renting a vehicle abroad, will it be insured?

We work with many different vehicle owners in over 40 different countries. As a result, the types of rental insurance policies vary greatly. Further information about a vehicle’s insurance can be found in the “Conditions” section on the vehicle details page. Many owners - in the UK and abroad - offer additional insurance packages including, for example, protection against damage to tires and windshields. Information on these options can be found under “Conditions” or “Additional services” on the vehicle details page.

I’d like to rent a vehicle abroad. What category driving licence do I need?

UK driving licences are recognised across the European Union, including European Economic Area (EEA) countries, and Switzerland. However, many countries outside the EU may require you to have an International Driving Permit or a specific type of licence.

Within the EU, a category B licence allows you to drive vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of 3,500 kg or tow a caravan of up to 750 kg. When the maximum authorized mass (MAM) of a vehicle exceeds this limit, you will need a category C licence.

Before you decide to rent a vehicle abroad, we recommend that you check with your local transport authority about the specific regulations in your destination country. Please note that in some countries, such as the USA, driving regulations also differ from state to state.

If you are unsure which type of licence you need for renting a motorhome or caravan in another country, please contact our Support Team for more information (


Questions about camping and vehicles


What should I bring with me on the holiday?

Before your trip, we recommend you check with the owner about what is included in the rental, so that you know what you may need to take with you. Some vehicles include equipment and extras in the rental price, whereas some rentals are just for the vehicle itself.

In many cases it is possible to book equipment such as kitchen utensils, bed linen or camping furniture as additional extras. Check the “Additional extras” section on the vehicle details page for details and pricing, then select the extras you want in the booking process.

What is the difference between a motorhome and a caravan?

A motorhome (also called a camper or campervan) is a motor vehicle that is a self-contained travelling home. A caravan does not have its own engine, and must be towed behind another vehicle. Both types of vehicles are usually equipped with facilities for cooking, washing and sleeping.

Will my vehicle have electricity?

Most motorhomes come with standard electrical connections. Depending on the type of vehicle, electricity may be available through one or more of the following; the ignition, from a battery, from solar panels, or through an external mains connection (mains power hookup) at a campsite (campsites usually charge extra for mains hookups). The strength of the current depends on the vehicle. This is something that is best discussed with the vehicle owner if you would like more information.


Other Questions


I’d like to work for Campanda

You can find our more about our current job openings on our careers page. We’re looking forward to receiving your application!